From our friends at the Choose Clean Water Coalition
The Coalition is seeking a communications and outreach manager to support our campaigns, the planning and execution of our events, and other internal and external communications work. Please see the summary and link to full description below and share with any of your networks. I am also happy to answer any questions folks may have about this opportunity.
Link to full job posting: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/NAT1047NWF/JobBoard/1ca8346a-33cc-401d-90d9-d7f752fdfd7d/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=04422bad-5bff-4d36-ab3e-070caec6fd06
For 10 years, the Choose Clean Water Coalition has been responsible for ensuring the coordination of policy and messaging within the Chesapeake Bay restoration community. The Communications and Outreach Manager for the Choose Clean Water Coalition will be responsible for ensuring that strong internal and external communications strategies continue to be developed and implemented to support the work of the Coalition and its more than 240 member organizations.
The National Wildlife Federation serves as co-chair of the Choose Clean Water Coalition Steering Committee and provides fiscal and staffing support. In this role you will report to the Director of the Choose Clean Water Coalition and will be based in our Mid-Atlantic Regional Center in Annapolis, MD.
As the Communications and Outreach Manager you will identify and provide the resources needed for Choose Clean Water Coalition members to engage in our work and to communicate effectively about local, state, and federal campaign efforts. You will also be responsible for the coordination, planning and execution of multiple events that convene the Chesapeake Bay community and are critical to our work.
In this role you will:
- Be responsible for the planning and execution of our annual conference, including acting as lead on securing critical sponsorships. This event brings together more than 350 members of the clean water community and is a key component of the Coalition’s work.
- Support the planning, coordination and execution of the press event during the Coalition’s annual Chesapeake Bay Day on Capitol Hill. You will also assist with registration, trainings, and additional planning as needed.
- Provide technical assistance, training, and support to help improve and expand Coalition members’ communications capacity.
- Provide tools and technical assistance to our members to better support local/state/watershed communications strategies.
- Use Coalition communication resources, including traditional tools and social media, to support the Coalition’s policy priorities and bring attention to member successes by leveraging member communications assets.
- Provide training opportunities for both experienced and inexperienced members to learn and develop their communications and marketing skills.
- Strengthen the Coalition’s brand to bring attention to member work and gain influence with decision makers.
- Write Coalition branded press releases, op-eds, etc. to help bring attention to the Coalition and its membership.
- Engage decision makers using social media platforms to help elevate the Coalition’s brand and priorities.
- Work with the Coalition Director to identify and create strategic communications campaigns that support the Coalition’s policy priorities.
- Facilitate the work of the Communications workgroup to help identify ways to improve overall communications throughout the Bay watershed.
- Identify opportunities to expand and communicate about the Coalition’s commitment to elevating diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Coordinate the development of an annual report and other promotional materials.
- Create and manage content for Coalition website, newsletters, blog and social media platforms that elevate the work of the Coalition and our members.
- Develop an internal communications plan that details the different types of communications tools and outlets we use, what they are used for, and their schedule.
- Collaborate on the development and submission of grant proposals and reports; manage grant budgets and create and implement plans to meet all grant deliverables.
- Manage contractors and interns as needed.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience or equivalent
- Highly organized, detail oriented and able to work effectively under tight deadlines
- Has experience with large-scale event planning and coordination
- Has experience fundraising through events and corporate giving
- Demonstrated ability to utilize communications tools to achieve campaign objectives
- Experience managing an organization’s social media presence and knowledge of social media trends
- Demonstrated track record of successfully working with the media and organizing successful media events.
- Strong grasp of water and other environmental issues in the Chesapeake Bay Region
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills, including strong copy-editing skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize work, and meet deadlines
- Must be a self-starter who possesses a high degree of initiative
- Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
2-5 days per month throughout the Chesapeake Bay Watershed (New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, District of Columbia, Virginia, West Virginia)
Director, Choose Clean Water Coalition
20 Ridgely Ave, Suite 203
Annapolis, MD 21401