|West Virginia Environmental Council
Outreach CoordinatorThe West Virginia Environmental Council’s mission is to facilitate communication and cooperation among citizens in promoting environmental protection in West Virginia, to assist in organizing grassroots groups, to facilitate interaction among established environmental organizations, and to correspond with all appropriate local, state, and federal agencies involved in the management of West Virginia’s environment. WVEC seeks an Outreach Coordinator to help us fulfill this mission.The WVEC Outreach Coordinator is hired on contract for a six month period with renewal dependent on satisfaction and funding. The contract employee will report to the executive committee.The position will require an average of 20 hours per week; time should be recorded and submitted to the executive committee on a weekly basis. The Outreach Coordinator will work primarily from the WVEC office in Charleston, with occasional visits to the state capitol, coalition partners’ offices, events, etc.
The Outreach Coordinator will participate in a job performance review with the executive committee twice a year.
Outreach Coordinator roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Organizing/Event Planning
- Works to expand both individual membership and member groups of the WVEC
- Regular visits to current member groups to obtain their input on WVEC’s positions, policies, and opportunities
- Solicit new memberships by regular identification and regular communication with prospective groups that are aligned with the vision of WVEC
- Attend meetings dealing with environmental/social justice issues in WV
- Works with the WVEC Board of Directors to organize the annual E-Day at the Capitol, E-Day Benefit and Award Ceremony, and annual Fall Conference
- Works with a planning committee for any additional events organized throughout the year as time and resources allow
- Works with WVEC Board of Directors, Legislative Coordinator, Website Coordinator, and Communications Committee to coordinate WVEC communications and publications including:
- Posting of WVEC action alerts and notices
- Drafting and distribution of press releases and media advisories
- Identification of media opportunities and strategic responses involving WVEC positions
- Coordination of regular postings on WVEC website, Facebook group and page, and WVEC e-list regarding WVEC issues and calendar of events
- Editing and distribution of the WVEC Green Legislative Update published weekly during the regular legislative session
- Editing and distribution of the WVEC Green Newsletter published 2-4 times per year as established by the WVEC Board of Directors
- Developing and updating other WVEC publications (e.g. brochure, green pages, green jobs, etc.) as needed
- Prepares and presents organizing report to the board and/or executive committee on a quarterly basis
- Maintains and updates the WVEC database
- Coordinates with the WVEC treasurer to assist with donations, deposits, and records as needed
- Maintains organizational files
- Responds in a timely manner to all mail, phone calls, emails, or other correspondence to the WVEC office
- Maintains physical office space including: general housekeeping, security, conference room scheduling, office supplies stocking, and equipment maintenance
- Works with the fundraising committee and Board of Directors to support general fundraising for WVEC including:
- Organizing fundraising events
- Coordinating the development and distribution of fundraising appeal letters
- Identifying funders and preparing grants to potential funders to support WVEC activities
Qualifications for this position include:
- High school diploma
- Minimum of 1 year of administrative and/or organizing experience
- Basic skills in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Facebook, Twitter, and website management
The ideal candidate will:
- Be passionate about environmental justice,
- Have strong writing and communication skills,
- And be hard-working and flexible.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume with 3 references, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 8th, 2016. Interviews will be scheduled as applications arrive and conducted until a candidate has been hired.
1 CommentAdd a Comment
I would LOVE to apply for this, but I can’t live in Charleston. If there is a way for me to do this from Buckhannon, please let me know!