WVEC is now accepting proposals for its 2019 lobby team. Member groups are encouraged to share this request for lobbying proposals on their respective websites.
Download a pdf of the RFP here.
West Virginia Environmental Council
P.O. Box 1007 Charleston WV 25324
The WV Environmental Council (WVEC) is seeking lobbying proposals for full time legislative lobbying during the 2019 regular Legislative Session, which runs from January 9th through March 9th, 2019.
Please include in your proposal the number of hours per day, week, or month to which you are willing to commit during the Session.
Ideal candidates will be politically savvy; have the ability to influence people and relate to a wide variety of personalities; and have a desire to see sound environmental policy implemented in West Virginia. Duties include:
- Maintain a thorough understanding of legislative and regulatory processes, and complete situational awareness of the political, legislative, and regulatory landscape.
- Maintain strong relationships with state policymakers in executive and legislative branches, their staff, as well as environmental and consumer
- Be able to maintain flexibility throughout the legislative session. Attendance at committee meetings, stakeholder meetings, and floor sessions, plus active advocacy with lawmakers is required.
- Develop strategic and tactical plans to address identified threats and opportunities in executive and legislative branches.
- Participate as an integral member of an allied lobbyist team, meeting weekly during session.
- Lead or actively participate in coalitions with advocates and other stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with other WVEC lobbyists, staff, and member groups.
- Write weekly articles for WVEC’s WV Green Update and a wrap-up article at the conclusion of the session.
- Participate in meetings with the Legislative Oversight Committee of WVEC.
Quantitative Dimensions: Responsible for assisting with development and implementation of government affairs strategy during legislative session. This includes communication with Lobby Team Coordinator, office staff, interns, and board members.
Report to Lobby Team Coordinator. Maintain a collaborative relationship with colleagues in Policy, Communications, Stakeholder Engagement and other functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- 2 years combined experience in legislative affairs, regulatory affairs, or environmental policy.
- Expertise in political, legislative and regulatory matters at the state level.
- Demonstrated success in lobbying state government.
- Demonstrated ability to assess threats and opportunities in the political and policy arena.
- Skilled in alliance development at the state level.
- Strong self-starting, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Proven ability to think strategically and implement tactically.
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to work long hours and be flexible with time during legislative session.
To Submit Proposal:
Proposals should include: General personal background information, relevant experience, and monetary expectations.
Additionally, in your proposal please address the following questions:
- How would you propose to facilitate the use of WVEC membership in assisting in our lobbying efforts?
- How would you propose to facilitate with other lobbying groups, such as teachers, social workers, children’s advocates, health advocates, etc. into a coalition, as appropriate, to further enable WVEC to reach environmental goals?
Proposals are due not later than November 30, 2018, and should be sent both electronically and by hard copy. Please e-mail your proposal to Chuck Wyrostok at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
A hard copy of your proposal, postmarked no later than November 30th, should be mailed to:
West Virginia Environmental Council
C/O Chuck Wyrostok
P.O. Box 1007
Charleston WV 25324
Direct any questions to: Frank Young email@example.com (304) 372-3945
[pdf-embedder url=”https://wvecouncil.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/wvec-lobbyist-rfp2019.pdf”]This is a new Request for Lobbying Proposals. All submitted proposals will be considered equally. Our current staff is aware of this Request for Lobbying Proposals. No proposals will receive preferential treatment because of any applicant’s prior or current position(s) on the WVEC Lobby Team.